Aug 23, 2010

I AMsterdam

Like all big cities, Amsterdam has its own brand. As in Copenhagen case, it uses part of the name to express it. I think everything started with I ♥ NY - the 70's campaign to promote the city. My impression is that the Amsterdam brand has its root in this concept, but it grow in a different direction. The verb "am" is the best part. It makes you feel you belong there, you are part of what's happening.It's the biggest promise a city can make to a visitor - you will be part of who and what I AM. And considering we are talking about Amsterdam, who wouldn't want that?

In the end of august, there is a huge Sail Parade in Amsterdam. The city brand what present in 3 meter tall letters in the street near one view point of the parade. I think is the best expression of what it really means.
People literally become the city. They "live" in it.
Other use of the brand commitment i saw on a bicycle taxi.

I think is the most personal and friendly city brand. In the same time is about diversity. Who are you? You can be whoever you want to be here...
BE AMSTERDAM!!

*photos taken in Amsterdam august 2010

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful post. For the reasons you mentioned, and many more, Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities in the world.

Having said that, I hate to bring it up, but you are so consistent in this error that I can't avoid it any more: the difference between "its" and "it's":

"It's" is a contraction of "it is."
"Its" is possessive.

Both of the times you used the word, you did so incorrectly:
"Like all big cities, Amsterdam has it's own brand." would therefore read "Like all big cities, Amsterdam has it is own brand." and
"the Amsterdam brand has it is root in this concept" would read "the Amsterdam brand has it's root in this concept."

Clearly you meant to use the possessive form: "its".

Alina said...

Leo, thank you very much for the info. I changed it to the correct version, you are obviously right. I plan on writing the Amsterdam feeling. I'm curious what do you think as a resident.